The Drew Barrymore Show has reversed a decision to return during the US writer’s strike, following wide criticism.
“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore wrote on Instagram. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”
She also deleted a previous and tearful video in which she said, “I believe there’s nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it OK. I wanted to own a decision, so that it wasn’t a PR-protected situation, and I would just take full responsibility for my actions.
“I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this OK to those that it is not OK with. I fully accept that. I fully understand that. There are so many reasons why this is so complex, and I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anymore. It’s not who I am. I’ve been through so many ups and downs in my life, and this is one of them,” she said.
“I deeply apologise to writers. I deeply apologise to unions,” Barrymore said.
“There’s a huge question of the why — why am I doing this? Well, I certainly couldn’t have expected this kind of attention, and we aren’t going to break rules and we will be in compliance. I wanted to do this, because as I said, this is bigger than me and there are other people’s jobs on the line.”
The Drew Barrymore Show will air repeats for the foreseeable future Variety reports. Episodes that were taped last week when the show went back into production will not air.
“The Talk is also pausing its season premiere scheduled for September 18. We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date,” a spokesperson for CBS said in a statement.
The Jennifer Hudson Show has also pushed back its previously-planned premiere date and paused production.
The View which has two WGA writers on staff has been airing throughout the strikes without its writers and is now target of WGA picket lines.